With rumors buzzing around about some kind of Nintendo news hitting today, we finally know what all the speculation was for. Nintendo has updated its Nintendo Switch Online website with some fresh details on its paid online service slated to become available this September, the chief feature being we finally get cloud saves for Switch games!
Here’s the full rundown of new details:
- 20 NES games with added online play will be available, with more games to be added later
- Launch titles include Soccer, Balloon Fight, Tennis, Ice Climber, Donkey Kong, Dr. Mario, Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Bros., and Super Mario Bros. 3
- Full voice chat support for the aforementioned NES titles via the Nintendo Switch Online app
- Cloud saves will be available, with details on the service before launch
- New Family Membership for up to 8 people/Switch systems for $34.99/year
Additionally, depending on the game, the online functionality for the 20 NES titles include competitive and cooperative play, screen sharing, and a “pass the controller” feature.
All of these features seem excellent for the price point ($19.99/year for a single membership), but far and away the biggest feature for most people will be cloud saves, which I’m overjoyed to hear will finally be coming. Stay tuned for more details on this and other features as they become available.