Ready for some anime puzzler goodness? Then this announcement might be for you! In conjunction with Rose City Games, publisher and multimedia entertainment company VIZ Media has announced the release of its forthcoming debut title, The World Next Door, set for release on Nintendo Switch on March 28, 2019. The game will also release on PC and Mac on the same day.
In The World Next Door, players assume the role of Jun, a rebel teenager who becomes trapped in a parallel world and must solve puzzles using magic if she ever hopes to return home. The game world sees portals which connect two planes of existence—the human realm of Earth, and the magical realm of Emrys—and players must guide Jun through intense magical battles in the hopes of opening a portal for Jun to return home.
The game utilizes a series of casual, match-three puzzles to cast spells and defeat opponents, as well as branching dialogue trees which open up multiple possible endings.
Here’s a full feature list:
- Supernatural (“other kin” theme) story-driven game
- Fast-paced real-time puzzle battles; activate runes to cast spells and defeat opponents to advance the story
- Branching dialogue and reputation systems that affect your relationships with characters in the game
- Relatable main character, due to freedom to choose dialogue responses
- Visually striking & intricate art style with and hand-drawn appeal by Lord Gris
- Casual game mechanics (match-3)
The World Next Door will be available on March 28 on the Switch eShop for $14.99. If you opt to go the PC/Mac route, a bundle including the game and the original soundtrack will run you $19.99.
I’m a huge fan of VIZ Media (they publish the Pokémon anime, as well as the upcoming Detective Pikachu movie!), so seeing them delve into video game publishing is awesome, and this game looks like something you won’t want to sleep on. Let us know what you think of this game and whether you plan on picking it up on Switch on March 28.